Saturday, October 20, 2012

Spicy Sloppy Joes

Sloppy Joes.   A loose meat sandwich that is a great freezable, hearty, budget friendly meal that we enjoy here on occasion.  The family grew up with Manwich based sloppy joes and I'll make that sometimes, but personally I prefer the more complex flavours of my version (which is a variation on how my mother made it for us growing up).  Yesterday I made a batch using 4lbs of ground beef, the following is how I made this weeks version.

I start by browning the beef in batches with a little Olive Oil and then sweat a finely chopped large onion (about 2 cups) and 3 minced Jalapeños in the same pan and add the browned beef back in.  I season to taste (hold back on the salt) and then add cans of Campbell's Chicken Gumbo soup (which adds some salt).  1 can per pound of ground beef.  Turn up the heat and start bringing this mix to a simmer.  From here you can add hot sauces (I added a table spoon of Sriracha sauce), a table spoon of mustard and a lot of ketchup.  Start with a cup of ketchup and add more until it tastes the way you want.  Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Adjust the seasoning and serve on Kaiser rolls (or hamburger rolls, or just plain bread).

  • 4 lbs ground beef
  • large onion, finely chopped
  • 3 Jalapeños, minced
  • 4 cans Campbell's Chicken Gumbo soup
  • 1 tbsp prepared yellow mustard
  • 1 - 2 cups of ketchup
If my math is correct, all told this costs me around $30 for a batch this size.  For $30 I get two meals for the family and a couple of lunches out of it, so about $3.00 a serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment